Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thoughts From Proverbs 31

Proverbs 31 is the section that talks of The Virtuous Woman.  Here are some things that stand out for me today.

Proverbs 31:8-9
"Speak up for the people who have no voice,
for the rights of all the down–and–outers.
 Speak out for justice!
Stand up for the poor and destitute!"

Proverbs 31:20
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.

“In Matthew 25, Jesus describes Judgment Day. Many will stand there and call him “Lord,” but Jesus says, stunningly, that if they had not been serving the hungry, the refugee, the sick, and the prisoner, then they hadn’t been serving him (Matthew 25:34-40)

Proverbs 31:25
......she always faces tomorrow with a smile.

Proverbs 31:26
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear–of– God. (Lives in extreme respect, awe, and admiration)

I have been reading in several places lately about taking care of the down and out, the sick, the poor, the needy, the widows, the parentless children.  Here is a verse from James that sums it all up.

James 1:27
Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this:Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.

I have a good friend that has been preparing herself the Resurrection Season by looking inward to see what she needs forgiveness for. I decided to be a bit more deliberate about my confessions to God also.  I do it to see what I could be a better person at.  One of the things God has been showing me is that I need to be more compassionate to the plight of the needy and unwanted.  Especially at work.  There are a ton of needy and unwanted people at work.  My goal is to say a prayer over each one of them as they pass through my room for care.  I have always thought of myself as a giver, monetarily etc, but I need to be more giving with my prayers and compassion.  Work is stressful some days and sometimes I can be a bit dismissive with the very "needy" at work.  It is not my job to judge why they are being so gosh darn needy(attention etc) it is my job to be compassionate.  This can be a major challenge some days, as many come through our doors that just demand so much attention. My goal is to see them as God truly sees us all, as his wonderful creation, that he loves, even with all our warts.  


So I have presented myself a great challenge for my work week starting tomorrow.   God bless and I challenge you to examine yourselves for whatever area you need to improve. Thank you Gretchen for reminding me to examine more intently during this Holy season!

No comments:

Post a Comment