Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Overcoming Sin

1 Peter 1:13-16
A Future in God
 So roll up your sleeves, put your mind in gear, be totally ready to receive the gift that's coming when Jesus arrives. Don't lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing. You didn't know any better then; you do now. As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God's life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, "I am holy; you be holy."

That happened to be the first verse I came to this evening when I decided to devote some time to God.  What really struck me was the quote, "Don't lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing."  Wow!!!!!!  I must confess, today I lazily slipped back into a "way of the past."  Why is it we do so well for so long then "whack," there it is again creeping back into your life?  It immediately came to my mind, "You have triggers! Learn to recognize them and avoid them."

What triggers you to fall back into a sin of the past?  Whatever it is, steer clear of that trigger.  Run as far as you can from it.  If you are having trouble get a "trigger" buddy; someone you can call on when you feel weak.  

1 Peter 1:17-24
You call out to God for help and he helps––he's a good Father that way. But don't forget, he's also a responsible Father, and won't let you get by with sloppy living.
Your life is a journey you must travel with a deep consciousness of God. It cost God plenty to get you out of that dead–end, empty–headed life you grew up in. He paid with Christ's sacred blood, you know. He died like an unblemished, sacrificial lamb. And this was no afterthought. Even though it has only lately––at the end of the ages––become public knowledge, God always knew he was going to do this for you. It's because of this sacrificed Messiah, whom God then raised from the dead and glorified, that you trust God, that you know you have a future in God.
 Now that you've cleaned up your lives by following the truth, love one another as if your lives depended on it. Your new life is not like your old life. Your old birth came from mortal sperm; your new birth comes from God's living Word. Just think:a life conceived by God himself! That's why the prophet said,
The old life is a grass life,
its beauty as short–lived as wildflowers;
Grass dries up, flowers droop,
1 Peter 1:25
God's Word goes on and on forever.
This is the Word that conceived the new life in you.

Wow, have I had some sloppy living lately!!!  I need to journey through my life with a more deep consciousness of God and what he has done for me!  I know better than to let sin try and get a grip on me.  Sometimes it seems like we take one step forward, then sin creeps in and it is 10 steps backwards.  I am tired of trying to recover from my falls!  I need to remember that I reap what I sow.  Sin gives birth to more sin!! I need to take it more seriously. 

1 Peter 2:1-5
So clean house! Make a clean sweep of malice and pretense, envy and hurtful talk. You've had a taste of God. Now, like infants at the breast, drink deep of God's pure kindness. Then you'll grow up mature and whole in God.
The Stone
 Welcome to the living Stone, the source of life. The workmen took one look and threw it out; God set it in the place of honor. Present yourselves as building stones for the construction of a sanctuary vibrant with life, in which you'll serve as holy priests offering Christ–approved lives up to God.

So I guess it is time to clean house again!!!  Only this time I need to clean my spiritual house!  Time to put the cornerstone at my front door!!!  I need Jesus on the mantle of my door!!

1 Peter 2:11-17
Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.
 Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.

This world is not my home.  I am just passing trough on my way to eternity to live with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. When that day comes I will be totally healed of all sin and sickness and will stand before him in all righteousness and I will see Him as He is.  It is time to stop being cozy and time to jump back on the train to all eternity.  God did so much for me through Jesus Christ and I need to do more for Him!! Come along with me on our journey through life on our way to Glory!!!

(Quotes from the Bible are from "The Message")

No comments:

Post a Comment