Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Unique Event"'


Some days, I wake up and just can’t seem to get a grip on anything. I need to rest my elbow so it will heal, but I have so many things to accomplish. I need to take some time with God, but my eyes seem to keep closing. So many things I want to do, yet I have physical limitations while trying to help my body heal. I start to become down as I can’t clean the garage, I can’t work in the garden, I can’t clean the floors. I am an active person and it seems like everything is a “can’t”  Then as I am reading some of my daily devotionals I remember; “Today” is a unique event, full of potential! “Today” only lasts 24 hours so I better make the best of it.

The question is, what am I going to do with that potential? With so much potential standing before me, how do I choose?  Right now, I am at McDonald’s.  What potential do I have there?  I have the potential to smile at each person I give eye contact to.  I may see someone who needs a cup of coffee and a kind word.  I have the potential to make the employees here feel like someone cares about the job they are doing.  I can clean up my mess showing people good stewardship.  I chat with a lady about losing weight, and we share tips.  She feels someone cares and I feel like I have contributed to someone else’s life other than my own.  

When I go home, where is the potential there for a “unique event?” Maybe I will try again to do everything left handed so I can get things done.  It’s more of a challenge there.  Today is “date” night for hubby and I.  Maybe I will go and get fresh shrimp and scallops and we will have a lovely dinner at home.  Everything at home focuses on something “physical” that needs to be done, and I have to limit my activity. I pray God leads me to the “uniqueness” within my own home.  It comes to mind that I speak many words while I am at home. Today's potential is to speak life into each and every person’s life that I am blessed to communicate with. Wow!  Words are so powerful.  You can bless people or you can curse people.  I will speak blessings today.  

Another thing I can do to make the most of my 24 hours of uniqueness is each time a person or situation comes to mind, I can pray.  I have always been more of  a spur of the moment prayer warrior, not a long list type of person who sits for a “certain” period of time daily praying.  I will be washing dishes, or folding laundry, and something will come to mind.  I stop for a moment and ask God to take care of the person or situation.  The Bible says he hears us, so I move along not taking hours to pray.  I am sort of practical that way.  If he hears me the first time, why labor on thinking a long prayer will work better than what comes to mind on the spur of the moment. God is good. Take time today to discover how you can contribute to your 24 hours of “uniqueness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment